Joe Biden’s State of the Union – I count 27 lies and misleading statements
President Biden’s State of the Union happened on Feb 7th 2023. He seemed alive and alert, slightly amusing, I only lost focus a few times. A very good speech for him if he decides to run for re-election. Might even push his numbers up, because some people are not very aware of Biden’s lies and incompetence.
So let’s count the lies and misleading statements:
1. “Greatest speaker in the history of the house, Nancy Pelosi.” That is obvious BS, a clear attempt to bolster Democrats. She was a lying, conniving, nasty political hack.
2. “Created 12 million new jobs in two years.” Sorry, Joe, you may have gotten some of those back, but these were jobs that existed before Covid you did not create them. In fact, your policies contributed to their delay in coming back.
3. and 4. “Created 800,000 manufacturing jobs” (he said it twice). If you look at the trend in increases in manufacturing jobs, they were on a nice upward trajectory before Covid. While manufacturing jobs are up maybe 400,000 since before Covid, Biden falls well short of meeting the trend. In my opinion, he can take no special credit, in fact, he is probably a half a million short of the trend line.
5. “Inflation is a global problem, blame Putin.” Inflation started well before Putin invaded Ukraine, and gas prices went through the roof before Putin invaded Ukraine. We have some inflation because of the spending through Covid, but Joe’s massive spending launched inflation.
6. “Inflation is coming down.” Joe, your people did not see inflation coming, and just because you think you see a trend does not mean that inflation is over. In fact, we will likely see another round of inflation with the rise in Federal Reserve rates, since they will send our total debt payments through the roof. Your appointees are idiots.
7. “Gasoline price down $1.50.” Gasoline prices are still well above the levels in the Trump Administration, and because of the Biden Administration policies, they will be high for a long time.
8. Biden gave credit to Kamala for 10 million business startups but then he admits that the law she was working on didn’t take effect in the period this was measured.
9 “Criticized for saying supply chain begins in America” Crappy statement, nobody has criticized him for that, Democrats won’t criticize him, and Republicans would agree with the statement. This is a typical Joe Biden lie that cannot be checked.
10. ‘Chip factory salaries average $130,000 per year some of them requiring no college degree.” This is just not true. Certain engineering jobs may pay in that neighborhood, but the average salary for degree’d professionals is about $100,000 (other sources say $77,000 or $65,000) and non-degree’d jobs are under $50,000.
11. Biden claimed to be criticized for saying “buy American.” Another lie for the purpose of being persuasive. He does this all the time, he thinks we are stupid.
12. “Jobs are coming back because of choices we made in the past few years.” Jobs would be coming back whether Biden was president or not. Pretty easy to show that Biden’s policies slowed down the recovery.
13. “Inflation reduction act.” The very mention of “inflation reduction” with regard to this legislation is a lie. It produces a lot more inflation than it relieves.
14. “Negotiation by Medicare will save 100’s of billions of dollars.” No, drug companies are way smarter than the people who run Medicare. If they don’t make a profit, they will threaten to stop producing certain medications, at which point they will start to get subsidies. We will end up paying more. And everyone knows this.
15. “Pay your fair share” Biden addressed this to corporations. But corporations are responding to the tax regulations that Congress passed. They are encouraged to make investments and are relieved of taxes when they contribute to the economy with these investments. My fellow writer, Mr. Horist would make the point that corporations don’t actually pay taxes, since everything they pay is directly passed on to their customers. Either way, “pay your fair share” is a cynical lie.
16. “No billionaire should be paying less than a teacher or firefighter.” Again, a cynical misrepresentation. See the previous argument for the explanation.
17. “Oil companies didn’t invest in domestic production they did stock buybacks.” Wow! Talk about gaslighting. The Biden Administration has been fighting against domestic oil production throughout the term (and before during the Obama Administration). Under Trump, we were energy independent. Now we are not.
18. “Reduce the deficit by $114 Billion by catching tax cheats” Sorry, not buying this. This is a gross project of what the IRS might collect over the next decade. But the Biden Administration has no credibility when it comes to reducing the deficit, this is not measurable, not real except in Democrat’s minds.
16. “Trump added more to the debt in four years.” Whoaaah there, bucko! Trump did not cause Covid, he reacted to it. Our economy (and thus our tax base) went down, and by bipartisan consensus, the country spent $trillions to keep the country afloat.
17. Biden claimed that Republicans in Congress want Social Security and Medicare to sunset. The Republicans in the audience were incredulous, there is no serious effort to do this.
This was the biggest lie of the speech, his intention was to be deceptive, to gaslight the American people into thinking Republicans are out to cancel these benefits.
18. “Kids in pre-school are 50% more likely to finish high school.” Study shows that quality preschool helps by 11%.
19. “Blamed increase in mass shootings on gun laws.” Biden made this gratuitous claim that a gun law was ended and mass shootings went crazy. Complete horse manure, zero cause and effect. In the meantime, the Democrats are cheering on rioters across the country.
20. “Record number working on the border, new border plan, asking for equipment to secure the border.” Anyone who reads a newspaper knows that the Biden Administration is purposefully allowing our border to be breached, with over 2 million illegals crossing in the past year. Biden is an abject failure in this area, any claim of border security is a lie.
21. Biden claimed that McDonalds requires noncompete agreements that prevent them from working at other burger joints. This is not true. A cynical lie to try to convince the American people.
22. “Right to abortion was taken away with Roe v. Wade.” No rights were “taken away.” The Supreme Court corrected a ruling made by their predecessors during a tumultuous time.
23. “China threatens our sovereignty we will act and we did” Anyone familiar with the particular incident of the balloon knows that Biden’s indecision allowed it to cross the country before he finally shot it down. PBP has published multiple articles about China’s infringement on our sovereignty, and nothing has been done.
24. “Fentanyl killing 70 million Americans a year” The number is actually 70,000. A slip? Or a deliberate lie to exaggerate the situation.
25. “Let’s stop Fentanyl from coming across the border.” Holy moly, what a gaslight. Fentanyl is coming across our wide-open border, the border the Biden refuses to seal.
26. “Paul Pelosi victim of political attack.” The guy who attacked Paul Pelosi was not a Trump follower, exactly the opposite. We don’t know all of that story, but there was a lot of weirdness that has nothing to do with politics.
27. “No place for political violence in America.” Biden doesn’t believe this, nobody who has had an American history class believes this. This is the mantra of people who hate Trump – violence by Democrats doesn’t count. The fact is that America was born of violence, and our founding fathers were all about it. The 2nd Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms to fight against a tyrannical government.
As I mentioned, I tuned out a few times (Biden is not that interesting…) and others have found additional lies. These are just the ones I found with one pass through the speech (please don’t make me listen again).