On Tuesday, February the 4th, greeted by chants of “four more years,” President Trump gave his 2020 State of the Union Address.
This was one of the most majestic, dignified and best-delivered speeches the President he has ever made. Perfectly orchestrated and with personal stories and demonstrations of the effects of his policies.
He started with what is right, economics, respect overseas, the military is good, borders are secure, lower food stamp and welfare rolls. This was a powerful message demonstrating the sheer numbers of areas that his policies have impacted.
At the conclusion of this segment, Trump stated “The state of our union is stronger than ever!”
It was anticipated that the Democratic response would try to claim that the economy was not working for regular American, Trump included some key statistics:
– women filled 72% of all new jobs added
– the net worth of the bottom half of the American population has increased 47% – three times higher than the top ten percent
The event had several guests, including:
– one of the original Tuskeegee airmen, who just turn 100 and who was with his great grandson. Trump promoted him to brigadier general that day.
– a young girl who had applied for an Opportunity Scholarship to go to another school since the government school in her area was failing. Trump announced that she was receiving her scholarship and that he was asking Congress to fund a million of such scholarships.
– a military wife and her two kids were surprised when her husband, who was posted in Afghanistan, greeted her there at the speech.
With regard to health insurance, the President reiterated that he is protecting patients with pre-existing conditions, and also that he will protect medicare and social security.
He talked about how his administration was approving more generic drugs than ever before and that prescription prices had actually gone done for the first time ever (a point the Democrats dispute).
He noted that he just passed an executive order mandating price transparency in medicine. The writer’s own work on healthcare indicates that this is a crucial step in creating competition and forcing prices down.
In a shot at the radical left, he said, “we will never let socialism destroy American Healthcare.”
Drug overdoses declined for the first time in over 30 years, and it is a goal to eradicate AIDS by the end of this decade.
Rush Limbaugh, who just announced that he has stage four lung cancer, was in attendance and standing next to Melania Trump. President Trump announced that he would receive the highest civilian award, the Medal of Freedom. It was presented by Melania, then and there.
A lot more was covered in this speech which lasted close to two hours. It was as Presidential as any in history. There was no mention of the impeachment hearing. The Democratic response was thin and weak, every point having already been anticipated.
At the end, you could see Nancy Pelosi ripping up the speech as Trump descended the stage. Can’t say I blame her, on this night at least, her party is toast…