By all accounts Harvey Weinstein was successful in Hollywood, making movies such as Kill Bill, Shakespear in Love, Gangs of New York, Pulp Fiction, Spy Kids, Django Unchained. Between the Weinstein company and Miramax which he helped found, his movies have grossed well over $6 billion over more than 400 movies.
Harvey Weinstein has been accused of victimizing young women, including coercion, harrassment and rape. This has gone on for 40 years. And only NOW are they all ganging up on him and shaming him out of the business?
Do you think people didn’t know? How many hundreds or thousands of young people were victimized by this man, because no one spoke up?
And now after all this time, the rich and powerful of Hollywood are coming out of the shadows and piling on Weinstein, who has just been tossed out of his own company. But why did it take so long? His only friend seems to be the hapless Lindsay Lohan, who post support on Instagram and then erased it.
So let’s play a game.
It’s call Hypocrite, Coward or Whore.
1. Gwyneth Paltrow has come out saying that she was harassed by Harvey Weinstein while working on the movie Emma in 1996. She went on to star in this movie, she enhanced her status as an actress and made a boatload of money. She went on to work with Miramax and Weinstein on several other movies, including Shakespeare in Love, Sliding Doors, The Pallbearer, The Talented Mr. Ripley. Now she tells the NY Times “This way of treating women ends now.” Where was the outrage then? Does she claim that she didn’t know Weinstein was victimizing hundreds of young actors?
Now it’s your turn – Hypocrite, Coward or Whore?
2. Angelina Jolie says she turned down his unwanted advances in a hotel room in the 1990’s. “I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Ms. Jolie said in an email. “This behavior towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.” She seems so offended. But Angeline Jolie is one of Hollywood’s elite. Who did she warn over the last 25 years? Did she lift a finger to stop him?
What do you think – Hypocrite, Coward or Whore?
3. Ashley Judd, when filming Kiss the Girls turned down repeated offers to ‘shower’ with Harvey Weinstein. That was in 1997. “How do I get out of the room as fast as possible without alienating Harvey Weinstein?” she said she remembered thinking to herself. Not seeing the outrage at that time, seems the only interest was in her acting career not in preventing Weinstein from victimizing young girls. She later worked with Weinstein on the movie Crossover. Now she is speaking out – 20 years later, after becoming one of Hollywood’s elite, with the help of Harvey Weinstein. How many victims would she have saved if she had spoken out?
Time to choose – Hypocrite, Coward or Whore?
4. George Clooney told the Huffington Post, “Harvey’s admitted to it, and it’s indefensible,” Clooney told The Daily Beast on Tuesday. “I’ve known Harvey for 20 years. He gave me my first big break as an actor in From Dusk Till Dawn, he gave me my first big break as a director with Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. We’ve had dinners, we’ve been on location together, we’ve had arguments. But I can tell you that I’ve never seen any of this behavior—ever.” George, really? You are honestly trying to say you had no clue? Tough to believe.
How do you set it – Hypocrite, Coward or Whore?
5. Meryl Streep is now calling Harvey Weinstein “disgraceful,” “inexcusable,” and an “abuse of power.” She has clearly become a leading voice in this fight (after Weinstein was fired, not before), inciting others to come forth. She worked with Weinstein on The House of the Spirits (1993), Marvin’s Room (1996), Music of the Heart (1999), The Iron Lady (2011), and The Giver (2014). Where was that outrage for the last 25 years. Is she claiming she never knew any of this? Could an Oscar-winning actress have the integrity and fortitude to confront this?
This is a tough one – Hypocrite, Coward or Whore?
This isn’t about a dozen victims of one power-mad producer. There are likely thousands of young people with stars in their eyes hoping to be the next big star, who have been taken advantage of by unscrupulous power brokers in Hollywood.
Everyone has heard of the “casting couch,” its part of the lore of Hollywood and part of the plight of hopeful actors. All of the Hollywood elite, especially those listed above, knew this and for the entirety of their careers did nothing.
And let’s be real about this. Harvey Weinstein was not brought down by the Hollywood elite. He was brought down by opportunists who realized that Weinstein’s behavior could be turned into big bucks through publicity and lawsuits. I have no direct knowledge of what Weinstein did or did not do. But in fact, it does not matter, since legal blackmail is profitable either way.
So from the bold and the brave in Hollywood, there was no bravery, no genuine outrage, no net effects. No one stuck their neck out, no one risked their career by fingering a sexual predator. This was done by opportunists, lawyers and media people.
And while the Hollywood elitists trash President Trump and make hateful but altruistic political statements, their own Hollywood backyard is a cesspool of abuse. The abusive power brokers still exist they are indeed part of the elite, in the same social circles. They just haven’t been caught yet. And the only thing they have learned is to keep a lower profile. Add to this the pedophilia ring in Hollywood that was recently broken up, again the victims including young actors.
So despite the facade of caring and integrity, this is the culture of the Hollywood elite.
So what is your final judgment? Hypocrite, coward or whore?