Donald Trump outlined his 10 point immigration plan tonight in a long anticipated speech that followed a visit to Mexico to meet with President Pena Nieto.
Upon return to the U.S., Trump said he had a “great substantive, constructive exchange of ideas” with Nieto. Nieto made a gracious speech thanking Trump for the “constructive dialog” and praising the relationship between the U.S. and Mexico. It set the stage nicely.
The visit to Mexico was perfectly timed for Trump, since the good will generated by President Nieto’s hospitality and their joint speeches nixes any potential accusation of racism by the Clinton campaign (as has been charged before). This was a well orchestrated event, much anticipated by Trump supporters and the media.
Trump introduced his plan by making some general points.
– We have the sovereign right to choose immigrants who will thrive and love us – some are just not able to assimilate.
– Security – countless American lives have been stolen because of the open border policies of this administration. Illegals in jail had accumulated 25000 homicide attempts.
– Illegal workers compete with American workers, especially African American and Latino workers (where unemployement is high) and draw out more than they can ever repay.
– Anyone whose primary concern is well being of illegals has spent too much time in Washington. Our greatest compassion must be for our American citizens.
Trump laid out his plan as follows:
1. We will build a great wall along the southern border – and mexico will pay for the wall (…”they don’t know it yet, but they will”). It will start on day 1.
2. End catch and release. Anyone caught at the border will be detained until they can be deported.
3. Zero tolerance for criminal aliens. 2 million criminal aliens are in our country right now. Move them out on day one. We will terminate the Obama Administration’s non-enforcement policies that have allowed 300,000 law breakers to re-enter our communities rather than go to jail or be deported. This includes:
– Cooperating with local communities to remove criminal illegals. Identify those already in jail.
– Passing Kate’s law -criminal illegals who re-enter receive strong prison sentences and then are deported.
– Triple the number of ICE deportation officers, plus build a special deportation task force to deport the most dangerous.
– Hire 5000 more border patrol agents, and put more on the border, plus expand border patrol stations
4. Block funding for santuarty cities. End them. Cities that refuse to cooperate will not receive federal funding.
5. Cancel un-Constitutional executive orders and enforce immigration laws. Two illegal amnesty orders affect 5 million illegals, a third has been proposed by the Obama administration.
6. Suspend issuance of visas to anyplace where adequate vetting cannot occur. We also will have an ideological certification, to make sure immigrants share our values. This is referred to as “Extreme vetting.” For the price of resettling a refugee immigrant we can host 12 in a safe zone local to their native country. We will contribute safe zones so refugees will be safe and eventualy returned to their native country.
7. We will make sure other countries take their people back when they are deported. 23 countries will not take back their own citizens. Currently if they won’t take them back, police have to release them.
8. Complete the biometric entry exit visa tracking system. This was mandated many years ago but not implemented by the Obama administration.
9. Turn off the jobs and benefits magnet. E-verify is to be used to the fullest extent and expande across the country. Those who abuse welfare will be targeted for deportation.
10. We will reform legal immigration to take better care of our workers. There will be consequenses for companies that leave the U.S.
– keep immigration levels within historical norms
– pick immigrants based on liklihood of success and assimilation.
– choose immigrants based on merit, skill and proficiency
– establish new controls to assure american workers are provided for first.
Noticeably absent from the speech was the determination to remove all 11 million within a fix period of time. He has left plenty of room to be compassionate and make additional accommodations.
He also did not specify the consequences for a company leaving the U.S. Trump recognizes this for the sticky wicket that it is.
A continuing theme was “no amnesty.” Trump appears to be sticking to his guns on that promise.
When asked about his discussions with President Neito, Trump noted, “We did discuss the wall. We didn’t discuss payment.” President Nieto later tweeted that he made it clear Mexico would not pay the for the wall. Clearly this will be a point of negotiation.
Mr. Trumps said in his earlier speech, these are the major goals and discussion points for working with Mexico in a Trump administration:
1 Ending illegal immigration
2. A secure border is a sovereign right
3. Disbanding the narco cartels, preventing the movement of illegal guns, drugs, cash, and criminals.
4. Improving NAFTA. Its an old agreement and bad for America.
5. Keep manufacturing wealth in our hemisphere.
Overal, this was a great show, should give Trump a good bounce in the polls