In wake of the Orlando shooting, Florida Senator Marco Rubio seems to be reconsidering his decision not to run for re-election. If elected, Rubio could mean the difference between Republican and Democratic control in the Senate.
“Obviously, I take very seriously everything that’s going on – not just Orlando, but in our country,” he said. “I’ve enjoyed my service here a lot. So I’ll go home later this week, and I’ll have some time with my family, and then if there’s been a change in our status, I’ll be sure to let everyone know,” he said on Wednesday.
Leading GOP candidate Carlos López-Cantera is poised to take Rubio’s seat when his term ends, but has vowed to step down if Rubio decides to run. “I have asked Sen. Marco Rubio to reconsider his decision and enter the senate race,” writes López-Cantera. “The decision is his and his alone to make…I am still in this race and nothing has changed. However, if Marco decides to enter this race, I will not be filing the paperwork to run for the US Senate.”
The deadline for that paperwork is June 24th, so he better make up his mind soon.
Rubio is under considerable pressure from GOP leaders who worry that their party may lose the presidential election and control of the senate in one fell swoop.
“He [Rubio] is one of the stars of our party,” says Florida Rep. David Jolly.
Even Donald Trump has come out in support of his one-time rival. “Poll data shows that @MarcoRubio does by far the best in holding onto his Senate seat in Florida. Important to keep the MAJORITY. Run Marco!” said Trump on Twitter last month.