Editor’s note: This is part one of a two part series describing a horrible experience by one of our authors. A bag of candy had been mistakenly, momentarily, left out at an event where our writer, or anyone else, would have assumed it was for everyone. In that brief moment of carelessness our writer ate several, not knowing they were anything but just candy. You may be surprised at the impact and the danger. Can you imagine if your child had some of this “candy?”
What happens when you (unknowingly) consume a drug-laced candy?
The bush suddenly ballooned out towards me, startling me into jumping backwards. Confused and afraid, I ran for the safety of my home, carefully dodging aggressive-looking plants.
A cascading, knee-high wave of tile rushed me just inside the threshold. I watched in horror as the wave struck, distorting my legs and feet into short stubs to accommodate the rising floor. Everything from my waist down compressed tremendously, bringing my feet upon the floor not a foot from my torso. As the wave crescendoed and crashed, I gripped the counter hard, hoping against hope that the floor would not plummet deep into the ground, sucking me in with it.
Every cell in my body was swimming. I was no longer a solid, cohesive individual; I had become a blurred collection of cells in constant flux. An electric sort of vibration coursed through the cloud of loosely clumped cells that was me. I could feel every organ in my body working at once. I felt blood flowing freely through myself, each valve of my heart pumping it through me. I was aware of the sensation of my lungs expanding with each desperate breath.
I felt the air filling my lungs and escaping through their loosely woven walls to fill my chest. I briefly panicked, fearing that my lungs weren’t holding enough air in to sustain me, but releasing it into my chest cavity. There was a constant all-encompassing buzz as if I was vibrating out of control. I worried that the cloud of living cells my consciousness inhabited would dissipate, leaving me unable to enter my body.
This is what goes through your mind on drugs.
The floor warped again, twisting in constant flux. I saw my legs twist, but felt nothing. My understanding of reality crumbled. I could not reconcile the disconnect between what I was observing and the lack of matching sensation. I could not move from the spot without the risk of being thrown off my feet by the rapidly warping floor. Then a sharp corner of my counter jutted out in what I can only describe as a stabbing motion. My house was alive and trying to hurt me. I had become drawn into a dimension of chaos, the reluctant star of a horror story.
By all means, lets legalize this perfectly safe and harmless substance!
Those of you who are knowledgable about drugs are probably thinking, “Oh no; that’s LSD!”
LSD was my hypothesis too, once I was able to get my head on straight enough for it to occur to me that I had, in all likelihood, mistakenly ingested a hallucinogen. (It later turned out that someone had left their drugs where a reasonable person would assume, “hey, someone brought candy for everyone!”) I was wrong.
Before I could even hear the voice of my own mind, I had to escape from the death trap my home had become. Lost in my own back yard, I finally staked out a spot where I would be out of reach of the shrubbery and laid down to think.