After losing four of the recent primary states, the Bernie Sanders’ campaign has been forced to let go of hundreds of people working for the Democratic presidential candidate, according to several sources.
Even though the former Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton continues to collect more delegates votes, Sanders promised to stay in the race until the summer convention.
Sanders’ spokesman Michael Briggs suggested another reason for the layoffs, that had nothing to do with the recent detrimental losses to Clinton on Tuesday.
“Our campaign has now completed 80 percent of the primaries and caucuses. We look forward to winning here in Indiana next Tuesday and in the few remaining states and territories holding primaries and caucuses in May and June,” said Briggs.
“That means that we no longer require many of the loyal and dedicated state and national support staffers who helped us in places like New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and other states where the nominating contests have been completed.”
He also said that over 300 workers will remain as staff to help with California on June 7 and other contests. The campaign is downsizing from its current 550-person team.
This isn’t the first time; the Sanders campaign has trimmed down. At one point, there were 1,000+ workers part of his entire staff.
It’s safe to say that the decision to cut back on staff was influenced by the losses on Tuesday. Sanders and his campaign managers are just giving different explanations that sound better in an effort to save face in front of the public.
There are 10 out of the 50 left on the campaign trial and Sanders needs all the help he can get. But since fundraising success is often dependent on the trajectory of the race, Sanders’ advisors are wise to scale down on staff to cut costs. It is not likely that he will receive an enormous amount of funding like he did earlier this year.